Director of Manufacturing Engineering & Quality
Bevi is a Series C startup that has raised over $60 million to bring customizable, healthy, bottle-less hydration to offices and facilities across the US and Canada. Founded in 2013, our co-founders set out to out-design bottled water. Within five years time, Bevi has saved the waste generated by over 90 million plastic bottles and continues to grow at a rapid pace. With offices in Boston, New York, and San Francisco, we continue to grow our healthy flavor offerings and constantly strive to bring the next level of customization to the Bevi hydration experience.
We are seeking an experienced Director of Manufacturing Engineering & Quality to join our team. This person will build strong working partnerships across the organization to deliver results in the areas of product and supplier quality, reliability & test, sustaining engineering, design for manufacturability, assembly and cost (DFx), documentation and process control. The Director of Manufacturing & Quality will report to the VP of Hardware Engineering and will play a critical strategic role in the development and execution of strategies to achieve Bevi’s quality and volume manufacturability goals for both equipment and beverage consumables. You will oversee the day-to-day activities of the manufacturing engineering and quality team, ensuring that key performance indicators are achieved while maintaining Bevi’s high product standards.
You will lead with a strong quality improvement mindset, taking preventative actions by utilizing customer feedback along with internal & external data insights. This role will drive continuous improvement action plans and influence product design and product quality priorities. You will engage extensively with stakeholders both external (customers, suppliers) and internal (Engineering, Product Management, Field Operations and Sales). This position also has responsibility for KPI updates to our customers and business leadership and requires a highly organized, motivated and data driven leader, with strong technical skills and a customer focused mindset.
In this role you will:
- Build and lead a high performance team that achieves business goals and objectives with respect to product quality, cost and availability. Develop core competencies and close gaps in capabilities through system design, standardizing work, hiring and personnel development. Following lean principles, you will proactively identify, design and implement continuous improvement initiatives.
- Be responsible for the direct supervision and growth of Manufacturing Engineering, Reliability, Test and Regulatory Compliance teams. Provide technical leadership and mentoring for team members and external partners.
- Be responsible for Quality Management and building a culture where quality is everyone’s job. Own Quality systems and processes including QMS, Change Management / PLM, CAPA, Data Integrity, Supplier Quality Management, Compliance/Auditing, APQP and continuous deployment.
- Be responsible for beverage quality functions including food safety, sanitation effectiveness, and maintaining production approval using COAs. Provide leadership and direction in beverage quality and food safety.
- Work with Service Operations to identify and address gaps related to all aspects of product quality, including opportunities for ongoing innovation and improvements as well as optimization of quality feedback systems. Lead sustaining engineering efforts to continuously improve quality, cost, delivery and safety through the complete product lifecycle.
- Ensure the on-time and thorough completion of product quality milestones such as DVT, PVT, D/PFMEA, DOEs, reliability growth programs and engineering changes
- Work closely with product engineering to ensure design for manufacturability, assembly, test, cost and overall quality are achieved.
- Ensure manufacturing lines are developed and deployed during the NPI phase to produce quality products efficiently during mass production, meeting schedule, cost, output and yield targets. Oversee the development of new manufacturing processes, tooling, equipment, software and other technologies to deliver efficient and high-quality production output at a stable and predictable rate
- In partnership with our software engineering team, coordinate software engineering efforts to implement continuous deployment of software for both on-machine and cloud applications
- Develop systems for integrated testing, data capture, analysis and issue correction that leverage technology to optimize continuous improvement efforts and achieve cross-functional understanding and buy-in through visual communication and self-service data analysis
- Ensure design for regulatory compliance and manage certifications processes for new products and suppliers
- Drive the investigation of product, component, and/or material issues or supply constraints and assist with troubleshooting remotely and/or on-site at the manufacturing facilities
- BS degree required, Master’s or advanced degree a plus
- 7 + years of professional experience in Quality, Operations, and Manufacturing Engineering. BS degree in engineering strongly preferred.
- Proven leadership skills building high performance teams and creating efficient systems. A track record of developing people and processes while providing both strategic and tactical leadership.
- Strong hands-on problem solving and leadership experience in manufacturing engineering and product quality, including DFx, reliability, process quality, supplier quality, test design, test planning, root cause/failure analysis
- Strong knowledge of materials, product design, fabrication, assembly, test, tooling, and automation
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance requirements including NSF, UL, and FCC certification
- Expertise using data and visual communication to drive decision making processes, generate cross-functional buy-in,and quantify how manufacturing and quality data is trending
- Decisive and goal-oriented while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude
- Proficiency with Lean, Six Sigma and Kaizen tools
- Experience with Looker, ZenDesk, Solidworks a plus
- Competitive compensation package, inclusive of generous equity options for employees at all levels
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance plans with BlueCross BlueShield and MetLife, 95% paid by employer
- Fully employer paid disability and life insurances
- Wellness and fitness reimbursements
- 401(k) and personal finance education
- 15 days vacation and 9 paid holidays, plus additional paid days for volunteering, sick leave, etc.
- Paid parental leave for both primary and secondary caregivers (mothers and fathers)
- Monthly stipends for cell phone use and commuting costs
- Generous employee referral program
- Fully stocked kitchen and Bevis on tap - and composting and terracycling, too
- Monthly happy hours, pancake breakfasts, Hero awards… and more!