Director of Manufacturing Engineering & Quality
Bevi is a Series C startup that has raised over $60 million to bring customizable, healthy hydration to offices and facilities across the US and Canada. Founded in 2013, our co-founders set out to out-design bottled water. Within five years time, Bevi has saved the waste generated by over 50 million plastic bottles and continues to grow at a rapid pace. With offices now in Boston, New York, and San Francisco, we continue to grow our healthy flavor offerings and constantly strive to bring the next level of customization to the Bevi hydration experience.
We are seeking a highly motivated, experienced Director of Manufacturing Engineering & Quality to join our team. This position will require building strong working partnerships across the organization to drive improvement on technical problems related to customer and supplier quality, reliability, sustaining engineering, design for manufacturability (DFx), documentation and process control. The Director of Manufacturing Engineering & Quality will report to the COO and will play a critical strategic role in the development and execution of strategies to achieve Bevi’s quality and volume manufacturability goals. You will oversee the day-to-day activities of the manufacturing engineering and quality team, ensuring that key performance indicators are achieved while maintaining Bevi brand standards.
You will lead with a strong quality improvement mindset, taking preventative actions by utilizing customer feedback along with internal & external data insights. This role will represent the voice of the customer and ensure that product defect improvements are tracked and resolved in a sustainable and timely manner. This role will drive continuous improvement action plans and influence product design and product quality priorities. You will engage extensively with stakeholders both external (customers, supplies) and internal (Engineering, Product Management, Field Operations and Sales). This position also has responsibility for KPI updates to our customers and business leadership and requires a highly organized, motivated and data driven leader, with strong technical skills and a customer focused mindset.
In this role you will:
- Act as the voice of the customer within Bevi and interface with internal and external customers to provide comprehensive responses and ownership for corrective actions.
- Develop and implement a quality strategy that integrates customer needs, engineering and manufacturing and supply chain.
- Lead the quality improvement team through key performance metrics, data collection, and analysis, and implement performance improvement plans for areas identified through KPI monitoring and prioritized by the business. Create insightful BI data visualization tools and reporting.
- Provide technical leadership for defining, upgrading, and improving contract manufacturing quality and manufacturing processes.
- Work closely with new product development teams to ensure product quality is achieved through proper design, testing and engineering and quality specifications.
- Provide technical leadership to drive NPI process ensuring that the product ramp to quality and volume is achieved in accordance with design and quality specifications.
- Work with product engineering team to transfer new products into high volume manufacturing as well as provide product sustaining support to existing products to achieve continuous improvement in quality, cost, delivery and safety.
- Actively implement continuous improvement tools and methods such as DFMEA’s and Lean initiatives.
- Take ownership for the new product introduction schedule execution for manufacturing engineering and quality functions.
- Teach, train and coach team members and other employees in key aspects of quality control methodologies.
- In collaboration with supply chain, maintain/select supplier base through surveys, audits, process capability studies and ongoing interface and reporting.
- Address defect prevention through review of quality history, supplier base controls, analysis, process control techniques and training.
- Validate quality processes by establishing product specifications and quality attributes, measuring production, documenting evidence, determining operational and performance qualification, and updating quality standard operating procedures.
- Research and identify new manufacturing methods to be used to improve the overall cost, quality, safety and delivery of Bevi products.
- BS degree required, Master’s or advanced degree a plus
- 10+ years experience managing teams in quality and engineering department including manufacturing engineering, product quality, quality systems and supplier quality
- 10+ years high volume contract manufacturing experience, including work in Asia
- Relevant experience with customer, root cause analysis & corrective/preventive action
- Proven experience partnering with Design and Operations in a fast paced, high growth business setting
- Demonstrable experience in design for manufacturability (quality, cost, test etc.) with a proven track record of influencing design for quality and cost improvements
- Expertise in data management and the use of analytical, BI and statistical tools to identify trends in current processes and systems
- Ability to create performance metrics focused on quality, customer satisfaction, safety, cost and process performance.
- Proficiency with Lean, Six SIgma and Kaizen tools
- Proven ability to achieve results in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Proven technical leadership, with experience fostering collaboration and team building
- Ability to manage a wide variety of engineering disciplines in a dynamic environment
- Ability to produce results when facing deadlines or commitments
- Competitive compensation package, inclusive of generous equity options for employees at all levels
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance plans with BlueCross BlueShield and MetLife, 95% paid by employer
- Fully employer paid disability and life insurances
- Wellness and fitness reimbursements
- 401(k) and personal finance education
- 15 days vacation and 9 paid holidays, plus additional paid days for volunteering, sick leave, etc.
- Paid parental leave for both primary and secondary caregivers (mothers and fathers)
- Monthly stipends for cell phone use and commuting costs
- Generous employee referral program
- Fully stocked kitchen and Bevis on tap - and composting and terracycling, too
- Monthly happy hours, pancake breakfasts, Hero awards… and more!